Ardmore is yet another of Scotland’s single malt Scotch whisky distilleries – but the distillery known today as Ardmore wasn’t always named so. The original Ardmore distillery started out on the island Islay, before it was closed and taken up by Lagavulin back in the 1830s. Ardmore fell silent for a few years, before opening in a prime location on the edge of the Grampian mountains in 1898.
The distillery has grown and expanded over time, with two new stills added in 1955, and four more in 1974, to cope with the massive demand for the amazing, heavily peated single malts Ardmore was turning out. When it’s producing whisky to its highest capacity, Ardmore distillery can turn out a staggering 4,200 litres of alcohol. It currently produces 3,000,000 litres of pure alcohol per year, and is one of the few Speyside distilleries still using peated barley.