Claiming the honour of being Ireland’s most popular and well known whiskey, Jameson was originally produced at the Bow Street Distillery in Dublin, however it has been distilled at the New Middleton Distillery in Cork since 1975. John Jameson, a Scot living in Dublin, established the Bow Street Distillery in 1780.
Although a lawyer by trade he was no stranger to whisky production having married into the famous Haig family, and he was also related to the Steins who produced whisky in both Ireland and Scotland.
Initially producing just 30,000 gallons a year, in just 20 years John Jameson had increased this to approximately 1 million gallons a year to keep up with Jameson’s demand as the worlds most popular whisky.
By 1966 John Jameson merged with John Powers & Cork Distillers and created the Irish Distillers Group, and in June 1975 production of all their products moved to a new purpose build distillery called New Middleton. It has since been purchased by Pernod Ricard and has since undergone a huge €200m expansion to double the production capacity.