Peter Brown founded the Elgin based Linkwood Distillery in 1821, with production starting four years later. Brown, along with manager James Walker, operated the modest distillery for the next 43 years. In 1868, after the death of Brown, his son William inherited Linkwood and set about plans to vastly rebuild & modernise the distillery to increase it’s production. By 1873 this had been achieved, with capacity increasing from 4,500 litres a year to over 225,000 litres.
Since William’s death in 1898, Linkwood has seen numerous owners and a lot of rebuilding and expansion. A second distillery was added to the site in 1971 by then owner the Distillers Company Ltd., increasing production capacity to a huge 2.5 million litres a year.
It’s production is favoured for blending, being used in well known blends such as White Horse and Johnnie Walker - both also owned by current Linkwood owners Diageo. Although in recent years a number of single Linkwood malts have been released to much success.