The William Grant name is synonymous with the production of whisky in Scotland, dating back to 1886 when at the age of 47, William Grant purchased a plot of land in Glenfiddich, in the Speyside area of Highland Scotland. Having worked the majority of his adult life in distilleries, working his way to becoming the distillery manager, his dream was to own his own and with the help of his 9 children set about building the Glenfiddich Distillery. It opens it’s doors on Christmas Day 1887.
William Grant pioneered single malt Scotch whisky with it’s Glenfiddich production, with blended brands more common place before then. Riding high with the success of this first distillery, William built a second on the same site in 1893 which he called the Balvenie Distillery.
As business boomed for William Grant’s distilleries, it was not the case for others. Spotting an opportunity Grant purchased his third distillery, Pattisons, in 1898, with it he created the now famous Grant’s blended whisky, taking his family’s name.
Employing his son-in-law, Charles Gordon, as a salesman, by 1914 the company had a large distribution network spanning over 30 countries.
After William’s death in 1923, and despite Prohibition and World War II, Grant’s continued to go from strength to strength. They bought their fourth distillery, Girvan, in 1963, located in Ayrshire, it was the largest grain distillery in the world. Their fifth distillery, Kininvie, followed in 1990, with the sixth, Ailsa Bay, in 2007.